Thursday, July 15, 2010

Christmas in July?

So I'm starting to make Christmas gifts already. Sounds crazy but when you want to do a "handmade holiday" You need to start early. Last year before Christmas was insane for me! Way to many projects going and not nearly enough time. And who wants to be sleep deprived and stressed out during the holiday season. I'd much rather enjoy myself. BUT I keep getting distracted :( While I should be working on all of the other projects I'm working on something fun for Maggie. She told me she wanted a baby carrier. So I started and finished it today.
OK well not completely finished but almost.  I made the straps REALLY long.  I always go overboard with that kind of thing.  But anyways I'll have her try it on tomorrow and then cut the straps accordingly.  The color scheme is blinding.  I know.  But I let Maggie choose and this was it.  She knows what she wants!  It is made like a Mei Tei carrier.  And it is a bit rough as I didn't use a pattern and Have never made one of these.  And I padded the straps so that it would be a little more sturdy and despite the crazy colors I think the padding makes it look more like the real thing.
This is a started project.  It will be a newborn gown.  I can't finish it yet because I don't have enough fabric for the sleeves.  I cut these pieces from a t-shirt of mine.  I loved this shirt but it was way to small for me. Anyways hopefully it will be a nice gift for a little boy. 

And the other Christmas project I am working on I don't have any pictures for :(  But I'm using this tutorial for a fabric alphabet magnets.  I love this one and will probably make 2 sets.  One for my niece and one for my own daughter.  It is a great way to get rid of some scraps of fabric.

And one more exciting thing happened.  Grandpa Ed(Maggie calls him Grandpa head)  Brought these books for me.
They came from Snook :)  And I'm so grateful for them.  I'm sure that I will put them to good use!  I'm especially happy about the needle crafts book. 

OH and one more thing!  I need to take a moment to praise my hubby.  Last night I went to bed REALLY late.  Much later than usual.  And then the kids woke up REALLY early.  Go figure.  And I was just having a rough day in general (we all have those right?)  Anyways I think he could tell that too from talking to me on the phone.  While he was at work he found babysitters for the kids so that we can have a date night tomorrow.  Isn't that sweet?  He knew just what I needed.  

I am so blessed to have such a great husband and family :)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Bri Bee 

Edit:
Here is a picture of Maggie with the carrier.  Please excuse the bed head.  We just woke up :) By the time I got the camera out I couldn't get her to smile nicely. But when I showed it to her and let her try it on this morning she was smiling from ear to ear!
She tells me she was smelling her babies head.  Two pictures later she informed me that she was done taking pictures like a spoiled model or something.  Gees.  Its a good thing she is so cute.  

Baby brother is now demanding one.  I get to pic the fabric this time :)

2 comments:

  1. So are you going to use the slice to make the letters? Have you been getting any use out of that. I was so exceited about it when we got it!!

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the carrier...you are really making some nice things...glad you got the books...I have some others you might like, I will bring them up next visit. Aunt Snook

    ReplyDelete