Thursday, June 17, 2010

Babyshower gift

Anyone that knows me knows that I love babies and all things baby.  So I get all excited and giddy when I get invited to a baby shower because it means that I get to make a baby gift!  And every time I go to make a gift for someone I have this grand idea of what the gift will look like and how elaborate it will or won't be and how many pieces etc etc... 

 This time I bought "The Happiest Baby On the Block" DVD because it is awesome.  I watched it when my second baby was a couple weeks old and I swear by it!  My oldest son who was 10 at the time watched this DVD and it was so simple to follow that Christian was able to follow the techniques too.  And not only were the techniques easy to follow but THEY WORKED!!!!  I can not say enough good stuff about it!

Anyways...  I got the DVD and was going to just give her that but then I thought about how hard it was for me to find a proper swaddling sheet.  You couldn't purchase them in any stores near me and the ones online were VERY nice but no affordable.  Not for me anyways.  So I decided to make a swaddling sheet to go with the DVD.  And then while I was shopping for the fabric I thought that it would be nice to make a matching set...  SOOO I decided to make burp clothes to go with it.  And THEN I thought wouldn't it be wonderful to make a nice pair of tiny baby booties to go with it!!!!

As usual nothing goes as planned.  Because the swaddling blanket is fairly large it took me longer to hem than I thought it would.  I went with 42" by 42".  You probably think that is huge for a baby blanket but you will have to trust me.  A couple weeks after your child is born the only thing those napkin sized receiving blankets will be good for is well a napkin or maybe a changing pad...  But you probably already have a changing pad...

So then the burp clothes were easy but when it was all said and done I just didn't have enough time for baby shoes.  They are tiny but tedious :(  I really wanted to make them but I will have to save it for another day.   I did have about another hour so I decided to make a nice pouch to put it all in.
Here is the swaddling blanket and the DVD with my shadow.  lol I don't see professional photography in my future.  O well.  You get the idea though.  The blanket is folded twice.
Here is the burp cloth.  I got the idea here.  She has a tutorial which was very kind of her!  This was easy peasy and practical and cute.  I wish I had thought to do this instead of carrying around my boring plain cloth diapers.  I had cute ones from the store but they weren't absorbent enough. 
 
Here it is all next to each other.  And here is the tutorial for the pouch thing if you need one.  This is the second one that I made and I love it.  But its just a tote with one handle lol so if you have some sewing experience you probably don't need a tutorial.    I like the whole  one handle idea because it is a nice pouch to hang on a door knob or a hook somewhere.  You can use them to collect your kids little toys or books or whatever.

And here it is all tucked in the pouch together.  Although I'm sad that I didn't have time for shoes I am very happy with the pouch which will be used instead of a gift bag.  And it has a cute pocket which is just the right size to hold the card :)  Now I hope the mommy to be will enjoy it.
What do you think?

Have a great evening everyone!
BriBee

No comments:

Post a Comment